Discover the one principle that makes the difference between a rebellious child and a content one.
Dr. Gary Smalley is convinced that it is possible to raise confident, responsible kids in a warm, close-knit family atmosphere.
This child-rearing classic focuses on a single essential principle that can spell the difference between an angry, rebellious child and a happy, cooperative one. That principle—the true key to your child's heart—is knowing how to keep your child's spirit open. Simply and candidly, Gary Smalley guides parents through raising open-spirited children, and also demonstrates what to do if a child tries to shut parents out.
In this perennial bestseller, Smalley takes readers to the relational heart of parenting and offers:
- Twenty-two proven ways to motivate a child
- Ten keys to effective but tender discipline
- Seven ways to express loving support to your child
- Six characteristics of a close family—and the single secret that will help you achieve it
- Five childhood personalities—and how to guide each toward full potential
- Four common parenting styles—and why one of them is most successful
- One practical, family-tested approach to setting limits and enforcing them
Packed with personal stories, practical observations, and time-tested techniques, The Key to Your Child's Heart will help your family build the close-knit relationship you've always wanted.